2009 Jul 28 13:14

[vox] [fwd] Linux in Glendale Hospital

Seen on the Ubuntu-US-CA Loco list:

------Original Message------
From: Grant Bowman
Subject: [Ubuntu-US-CA] Linux in Glendale Hospital
Sent: Jul 27, 2009 19:28

Anyone been sick in Glendale recently?

Grant Bowman
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam

http://lwn.net/Articles/339675/
Virtual Linux is the prescription for hospital patients (iTWire)
[Press] Posted Jul 2, 2009 15:43 UTC (Thu) by cook

iTWire reports[1] on a new Linux installation by a Glendale, California
hospital. "Adventist Medical Center (GAMC) has installed thin clients
running Linux virtual desktops in 65 patient rooms in its new West
Tower. "Just as easily as the hospital provides patients with TVs in
rooms, now we provide personal computing," said Roger Pruyne, senior
programmer/analyst and project manager for the GAMC Patient Computing
project. The system combines NoMachine's NX remote access and
virtualisation software, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, and an IBM
System x3650 server. GAMC estimates that this approach saves 98 percent
of the cost that would have been involved if conventional PCs had been
selected."

 [1] http://www.itwire.com/content/view/26050/53/

----- End forwarded message -----

ObTuxPaint:

I know a Childrens Hospital has used Tux Paint in the past.  I wonder if
it's available at this hospital, too? ;)

Sent from my computer