2009 Jul 24 09:57

Re: [vox] Advertising LUGOD on Unitrans?

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 05:14:12PM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:

> As the great turnout at our 10th anniversary showed, it is the quality
> of the presenter that fills the chairs.

So does that mean I'm a crappy presenter, because only 3 people showed up
to my talk a while back? ;)  But joking aside...

I happen to think three things have made our anniversary meetings so
highly-attended: (1) free food, (2) good presenter, (3) massive advertising
campaign (relative to any other event throughout the year).
A kind of "club meeting perfect storm." ;)

Obviously (since I'm even looking into this to _begin_ with), I'm in favor
of it.  And as a major contributor to the club in the past, your feedback
carries more weight with me, personally.

Now, I'm sure we could plaster UC Davis campus and downtown on a more
regular basis, and spend far less money, and probably get a similar
amount of exposure, but it's a lot of manual labor.  (Make a new sign for
a new event, create copies, physically get people to go places and post
them, hoping they don't get taken down too quickly.)

I'm just wondering whether the club feels it's worth the cash to
have it "Just Happen," plus look quite a bit more professional.
(Than, say, a black-and-white photocopy next to the "apartment for rent"
and "lost dog" ads. :) )

Thanks!

-bill!

PS - Atari, a brand near and dear to my hard, shot themselves in the foot
     because they decided that their product was so superior that they didn't
     need to advertise it as much as their competitors were advertising
     theirs. [*]

[*] Paraphrasing from a vague memory of a story or interview I read.
    Closest I came to was this:
    http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=268