2009 Jul 23 19:31

Re: [vox] Advertising LUGOD on Unitrans?

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 04:29:39PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> We'd need to make our own signs.  They must be printed on cardstock
> and laminated.[*]  I'm not sure how much that would cost at a print
> shop (e.g., Kinkos^H^H^H^H^H^HFedeEx Office).  Any suggestions?

I called FedEx Office, which was actually pretty annoying (between the
phone menu that restarted when I tried to hit [0] to skip it and speak
to a human, and the fact that the person on the other side insisted
in taking my name and number and then botched their math and gave me
a total that was 10x higher than it should have been. :) )

I also called Copyland (on G Street), and Davis Copy Shop (neat campus).
The latter's lamination machine broke, so I didn't bother asking for
a quote.

Here's the rundwon:

* Copyland
  # $0.15/copy for BW, or $0.69/copy for color (even on card-stock)
    (normally 0.79, but discount for qty)

    = $28.29 for copies

  # $1.00/cut for cutting  (each cut would be for the entire qty)
    one cut would be free, but I think we need two cuts

    = $2.00 for cutting

  # $1.50/sheet for lamination

    = $61.50 for lamination

  Grand total so far looks like: $91.79

* FedEx Office (aka Kinkos)
  # $2.48/copy for color copies on 60lb (cheapest) cardstock

    = $101.68 for copies  (woah! already more expensive than

  # $2.49/copy for cutting and lamination

    = $102.09 for lamination

  Grant total so far looks like $203.77
  Somehow, when she wasn't giving me a number in the $2000 range,
  she said it was $221.60.  not sure where the other ~$20 came from.

In any case, Copyland seems to be our answer.  He was very nice to answer
three calls, as I went back and double-checked things.
("oh crap, that $.69/copy, was that for card-stock?"  "oh, sure, I'll
give you the same price for card-stock.")

IIRC, isn't Copyland the place that Henry has recommended, over places
like Kinkos?  If so, I can totally see why. :^)

So it looks like the grand total for producing and placing 41 color
15"x11" signs on the single-decker Unitrans fleet is approx:

  $550

($455 + $91.79 + slop)

Since, if we do this, we need to do it in a hurry... what should such a sign
say?

It could be as simple as:

  Linux Users' Group of Davis
  www.LUGOD.org

But I'm betting something catchier might be nice.  Although I know when
_I_ take the bus, I end up staring at a bunch of the ads, just because
there's little else to do. :) [*]

-bill!
[*] In the future, bus advertising will be wireless stuff that feeds
    video ads into whatever gadget you're playing with. ;)