2009 Jul 15 00:59

[vox] [fwd]: We're Back - Mapping California Communities Workshopsin September

For the GIS geeks in the room:

----- Forwarded message from "Gina Clemmer, New Urban Research" -----

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:09:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Gina Clemmer, New Urban Research"
Subject: We're Back - Mapping California Communities Workshops in September

   Mapping California Communities Workshop: An Introduction to GIS
   & Community Analysis   *Ask about our Non-Profit Discount*

<snip>

   Sacramento: September 17th and 18th, 2009*
   ExecuTrain of Sacramento - 1860 Howe Ave., Ste 250 Sacramento, CA 95816

<snip>

   San Francisco: September 24th and 25th, 2009*
   ExecuTrain of San Francisco- 101 Spear Street/One Rincon Center, Suite 245
   San Francisco, CA 94105

   *These are one-day workshops (8:30 am - 4:30 pm). Participants choose
   which day to attend.
   More Info/Registration: http://www.nur-online.com/

   Audience: Beginners, anyone interested in mapping their
   community. Government Agencies, Non Profits, Environmental Groups,
   Students, etc...

   Already taken this workshop?  Now offering ArcGIS Training: Refresher and
   Advanced Classes (see website for more information)

   Participants will learn to use ArcGIS 9.3.1 to do the following:

   Create Thematic Maps
   Participants will learn to create thematic maps of their own data, and
   display spatial trends in information.

   Address Mapping (Geocoding)
   Participants will learn to map addresses of their clients, their projects,
   or incidents such as crime and disease.

   Download and Map Census & American Community Survey Data
   Participants will learn to extract and map current Census data such as
   poverty, race, language, population, transportation, education, and
   workplace characteristics.

   Participants will also learn to:
   Conduct spatial queries
   Download free shapefiles
   Create well-designed maps

   Mapping techniques transferable to all other communities.  Exercises are
   designed for beginners, Intermediate Excel skills required.

   Materials
   + Comprehensive workshop (75 pages), which includes the presentation,
   exercises, and reference worksheets.

   + ArcGIS (ArcView 9.3.1) software 60-day trial CD set

   What People Are Saying about New Urban Research Workshops

   City of San Francisco: "One of the best computer training courses I've
   been to, lively, informative, good level of difficulty for target
   audience."

   California Cancer Registry: "The workshop was great! The instructor is
   very knowledgeable and helpful. I would definitely recommend this course
   to a new GIS user."

   UCLA: "This was such a great course! I appreciated the information on
   where to find useful data."

   Fresno City College: "This workshop was very informative and enlightening.
   It demonstrated very powerful tools and concepts that I will definitely be
   using in the future. The instructor was patient and gave a lot of
   technical insight to the product."

   New Urban Research, Inc. is a national social research organization
   specializing in quantitative and spatial community analysis. NUR is an
   ESRI Business Partner. New Urban Research, Inc. 2301 NW Thurman Street,
   Suite S, Portland, Oregon 97210 | 877.241.6576 | www.nur-online.com

<snip>

----- End forwarded message -----

Enjoy,