2009 Jul 09 23:41

[vox] "Bay Area LUGs" flyer created for OSCON, etc.

[vox] "Bay Area LUGs" flyer created for OSCON, etc.

Hello, this is Bill Kendrick, president and one of the co-founders of LUGOD,
the Linux Users' Group of Davis. [1]

Recently, I was seeing if it was possible to get a booth at O'Reilly's
Open Source Convention (OSCON) [2], which will be in the bay area this year.
(It had previously been in Portland, in recent years.)

Unfortunately, there's no more room in the .ORG Pavillion.  We spoke with
the California "Ubuntu Local Community (LoCo) Team" about sharing space, but
it was decided that it was not feasible.

However, Ubuntu Calif. Loco (and possibly other groups [3]) has offered to
place a flyer out on our behalf.  So, based on my knowledge as LUGOD
public relations guy, and a quick browse at Rick Moen's "BALE"
(Bay Area Linux Events) site [4], I've whipped together a brief list of
greater Bay Area LUGs, together with a little map. [5]

  http://lugod.org/projects/oscon/bay_area_lugs/

Please let me know if you see any omissions or anything needing corrections.
I created the document in Scribus (using OpenStreetMap.org and The GIMP to
create the map), but I am not a graphic designer, so it lacks "pizzazz".
Feel free to take what I've done and create something flashier.

At this point, I need to determine (1) where, when and how to print off
a run of flyers (and how many!) and (2) how to get them to the group(s)
that are going to place them out at OSCON.

I'd also love if we could get these out at OSWorld (previously LinuxWorld). [6]
And, of course, feel free to print them out and place them out at LUG
and other UG meetings, to help spread the word about the other LUGs.
(Sometimes people don't think to search the web for "linux user group {city}")

[1] LUGOD is a 10 year old LUG that meets in Davis, near Sacramento:
    http://www.lugod.org/

[2] OSCON takes place July 20-24th.  The expo is the 22nd & 23rd.
    http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2009

[3] If you know of other groups who would be willing to put out a
    "multi-LUG" flyer, please let me knwo!

[4] Bay Area Linux Events (BALE): http://linuxmafia.com/bale/

[5] The .pdf is the printable document, generated from the source
    document, which is a Scribus .sla.
    The .png and .jpg are depended-upon by the .sla.
    The .xcf.gz is the Gimp source to the .png map.)

[6] OpenSource World (previously LinuxWorld Conf & Expo) takes place
    August 12-13th in San Francisco.
    http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/

PS - I'm sending this to either the discussion mailing list, or whatever
     contact email address I could find via your LUG's website.
     Feel free to pass this along as you see fit!

--
Bill Kendrick
root@lugod.org

(Your address: vox@lists.lugod.org )