2009 Jun 03 16:41

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG June 3rd meeting (tonight!): The Parrot VirtualMachine [Mountain View]

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen -----

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 15:15:10 -0700
From: Rick Moen
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG June 3rd meeting (tonight!): The Parrot
	Virtual Machine

WHEN:

  Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 (tonight!)
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    The Parrot Virtual Machine

  PRESENTED BY:
    Allison Randal, O'Reilly Media

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    Parrot is a register-based virtual machine, developed in C and
    intended to run a variety of dynamic languages efficiently, starting
    with but not at all limited to Perl 6, using just-in-time compilation
    for speedy operation and minimum overhead. Serendipitously, it's ended
    up being small, efficient, and flexible enough for most interpreted
    languages. It also recently reached production status.
    http://www.parrot.org/

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Allison Randal is a linguist, software developer, chief architect
    for the Parrot virtual machine, Perl Foundation Board member, coauthor
    of Perl 6 and Parrot Essentials, Second Edition and of some of the Perl
    6 Synopses, and editor of various O'Reilly books on dynamic languages
    including Perl Hacks: Tips & Tools for Programming, Debugging, and
    Surviving  and Programming PHP. She also serves as Program Chair for
    O'Reilly's Open Source Convention, and is employed by O'Reilly Media
    (formerly O'Reilly and Associates).

LOCATION:

  Symantec
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer