2009 May 29 10:43

[vox] Breakdown of Tux Paint downloads

I spent a lot of this evening futzing with OpenOffice.org Calc, and
generated the following PDF, based on download statistics for the last
9 versions of Tux Paint (incl. the current, which will hopefully soon be
retired).

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bill/news/images/tuxpaint-download-breakdown-20090528.pdf

The original reason I did this was because the fellow who packages RPMs for
me asked whether the very old versions of RedHat that he's been building
packages for are actually worth supporting.  Well, apparently a few 100 people
still use it.  (That's not much compared to the over 920,000 downloads that
the latest version has seen, but it's not like we're doing anything
complex to continue supporting the older platforms... mostly just building
packages.)

Sadly, Windows downloads blows everyone else out the window (86% of all DLs).
Mac OS X is in 2nd place (but far behind at 11%).  Note, however, that this
is only download statistics from SourceForge.net.  It doesn't count all those
ASUS EeePCs that came with Tux Paint pre-installed, or people downloading
Tux Paint for Debian and Ubuntu using 'apt-get'/etc. :)

But, other than having Tux Paint "phone home" (and even then, that wouldn't
necessarily count OEM installs, or people using it w/o network access),
there's not much I can do to aggregate anything _close_ to a 'real' total
for the number of downloads.

All I can say is:  "at _least_ X". :)

So in the last 5.75 years, the last 9 versions of Tux Paint were
downloaded over 3.1 million times, and it's highly probably that
nearly a 3rd of that has been in the last 11 months. :)

We're "averaging" at least 2,700 downloads per day.
(i.e., if you take the number of times the latest version was
downloaded and divide it by the number of days the version has been
around.)

Whew. Fun. :)  Time for bed soon, I think.

Sent from my computer