2009 May 19 07:16

[vox] Advertising on LUGOD.org

I just received an email asking if I was the right person to contact
about advertising on LUGOD.org.  (I get those all the time for my own
domains, and sometimes the business or org. seem relevant and benign enough
that I decide I'll take the $$$ to add a link on the site.  I later realzied
that most of these people are trying to do SEO (search engine optimization),
whereby a 'high PageRank(tm)' site links to them, improving their rank.)

Anyway, like I said, I just received one for LUGOD.  What do people think
about this?  Right now, we have returned the favor to some folks who have
donated to us in the past, by linking to them on our Sponsors page, as
well as randomly showing them at the footer of most other pages of the site.
(Some donations were monetary, others were service, e.g. Sunset Systems
hosting our site and mailing lists.)

Should I give a big "Not Interested" reply, or find out what they want?

The people that contacted me today are recruiting-service-related, which one
can argue is sufficiently on-topic.  (We have a Jobs mailing list and
Jobs web page, so we already promote the concept of people Working With Linux
:) )

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

-bill!
root@lugod.org