2009 May 21 21:27

Re: [vox] Help - Installfest info, & legal, text examples?

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 08:59:08PM -0700, john_re wrote:
> Do you know how that legal release form got created?  Did someone there
> consult a lawyer? If yes, what lawyer? If no, how did it get created?

I don't know the full details.  The doc looks like I was put on the website
back in July 2001.  We were holding Installfests with RoseLUG and SacLUG
at that time.  (I'm looking at meeting minutes from back then.)

I'm not sure who wrote it, and I don't _recall_ a lawyer being involved.
I'm not sure if it was something we came up with, or based off of something
else.  I think Pete Salzman was running Installfests back then...?

I've honestly never been that involved in IFs, since I'm just not that
good with PCs or tweaking Linux settings to make stuff work, if it doesn't
Just Work Out Of The Box. ;)

Hopefully someone else who was helping with IFs way back when can help.

> Any other tips for howto go about understanding the issues, & getting a
> proper legal release created? - btw, that form looks good to me, but
> ianal, so i'm in no position to evaluate its appropriateness.

Find a lawyer who'd work pro-bono? ;)  Maybe someone from EFF, or SPI, or...?

Sent from my computer