2009 May 03 13:50

[vox] We still need to get the word out about 'open source'

[vox] We still need to get the word out about 'open source'

This is an interim report on a 'commercial use study' being done by
the Creative Commons:

http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/nc-study/NC_Use_Study_Interim_Report_20090501.pdf

Goals:

1. To undertake an empirical study that will survey variations in the
   understanding of the terms 'commercial' and 'noncommercial,' when
   used in the context of content made available on the Web.

2. To provide information and analysis that will be useful to Creative
   Commons in clarifying and refining the scope and increasing the
   distribution of its free copyright licenses, particularly its
   'noncommercial' licenses.

On page 19 of the report, it breaks down respondents' familiarity
with open source principles:

18%  I am familiar with and embrace open source principles

9%   I am familiar with but do not necessarily embrace open source principles

3%   I am familiar with open source principles and do not agree with them

14%  I am somewhat familiar with but have no opinion of open source principles

56%  I am not at all f amiliar with open source principles

Ouch!

Sent from my computer