2009 Apr 28 20:35

[vox] Linux on the business desktop

A long article at PC World about Linux on the business desktop, and
why it's not there yet (kind of a chicken-and-egg problem), along with
some comparison to Mac OS X:

  http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/163880/has_desktop_linux_missed_its_opportunity.html

One thing I found amusing was that one of the arguments against running
Linux and using virtualization to get to those proprietary Windows apps
you're stuck with, is that [some levels of] Windows 7 will apparently be
shipping with a Windows XP 'compatibility' mode.  I was reading about
precisely the same problems that, as this article talks about Linux + Windows.
(Supporting two OSes... upgrade cycles... backups... etc.)

OTOH, apparently HP is now selling business-class laptops with Linux
preinstalled as an option (along with Windows XP or Vista):

  http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217200461&subSection=News

Sent from my computer