2009 Apr 22 10:29

Re: [vox] Why Ubuntu, Kubuntu?

On Tuesday 21 April 2009, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 08:13:10PM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> > (I'm sticking with Kubuntu 8.04 to avoid KDE 4.x.  Sorry bill!.)
>
> Ah, but did you read THIS?
>
>   Kubuntu Jaunty KDE 3 Remix Release Candidate
>   http://www.kubuntu.org/node/77
>
>   A remix of our Jaunty Release Candidate has been made with KDE 3
>   packages. The main focus of this remix is to keep the mature, stable,
>   and familiar KDE3.5 desktop environment available for easy
>   installation and use. Along the way, various bugs have been fixed, and
>   small enhancements added, see the release notes page for information
>   and where to download.
>
> My wife also does not like KDE 4, but she's running Kununtu 8.10 with
> KDE 3.5 on it. (Someone, err, 'backported'? What would you call it
> in this situation? :) )

Speaking of wives and KDE 3.5, this news puts a wrinkle in my computer plans.
Over the years I've tried to convince some friends and family members to
switch to Linux.  I have a perfect record of failing to convert anyone.  My
wife recently told me she wants me to put Linux on her machine after she
returns from a big trip in mid-June.  Unfortunately, however, I'm still
batting zero.  Vista gets credit for this conversion.

But I'm prepping for the big event by learning how to use wicd instead of KDE
Wireless Assistant.  If I muck up the dual boot, Alex will have to fix it at
an If.  But with this news I'll definitely look into the Jaunty remix.
Otherwise Hardy should do just fine.

Thanks for the tip.

Bob