2009 Apr 18 14:17

Re: [vox] [Semi-OT] DRM-free icon? :)

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 05:03:38PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> So apparently folks are working on making some logos that help
> explain to consumers what kind of DRM and licensing restrictions
> there are for their content (games, music, movies, ebooks, etc.)
>
> Or, just in terms of DRM, a quick and obvious one would be
> an unlocked padlock with "DRM Free" or "No DRM" or just
> 'DRM'-with-a-slash-through-it. :)

Do you want to be clear? Or represent a position on the subject?
To me the circle/slash has shifted from being "no" to being "NO!". It tends to take on the feel of a militant stance.

Of course there are levels of licensing in our world so there is probably room for more than one icon so we can fit the proper one to each instance.

How about an open hand? or a hand with a sheet of paper giving it freely? The paper can even be floating away from the open hand.

One symbol I always liked with open source was a paper airplane in flight.

How about just the circle/slash symbol itself but all broken up? As in, no-NO's

Gandalf  Parker