2009 Feb 22 11:44

Re: [vox] [fwd] R (programming language) Bay Area Users Group

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Alex Mandel wrote:
> R was also invented before the internet and it's derived from S.

It's not really before the internet, but it was still in the era of
single letter languages.

> I think 15+ years later they have realized it's a bit of a problem.

There are R specific search engines, and it's pretty easy to find
anything if you use cran instead of R (R's CPAN-alike is called CRAN)

> Also note it still requires a fortran compiler to compile.

R itself is written primarily in R and C, but there are still
important numerical methods which are written in Fortran which haven't
been ported... but since R can call code in pretty much any language,
this isn't much of a big deal. [And it's not like the GNU Fortran
compiler isn't actively maintained anyway.]

Don Armstrong

--
Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien
a ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien a retrancher.