2009 Feb 22 00:37

[vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 02/26/2009

[vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 02/26/2009

PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

   NOTE NEW LOCATION! Our usual meeting place is not available on this date,
   but we will return to Qualys in March. Allow extra time to find the new
   location and for traffic delays. See Driving Directions or Transit
   Directions for more information.

   |Date:    |Thursday, February 26th, 2009                              |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------------|
   |Time:    |6:00 - 8:00 PM                                             |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------------|
   |         |Open Street Map / Cloudmade                                |
   |Location:|1370 Willow Rd (2nd Floor)                                 |
   |         |Menlo Park, CA 94025                                       |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------------|
   |RSVP:    |Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=48029661973|
   |         |or mail rsvp@penlug.org                                    |

   PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU ARE COMING! Because of the new location, which
   is smaller than our usual room, we want to have an accurate idea of how
   many people are coming. Send email to rsvp@penlug.org or use the Facebook
   address above to RSVP. Thank you!

   Agenda:

     * 6:00 PM Free pizza arrives
     * 6:15 PM Free book giveaways or other prizes
     * 6:30 PM Presentation begins
     * 8:00 PM Meeting ends

  OpenStreetMap, an open source map of the world

   OpenStreetMap is an open source project to collaboratively map the entire
   world. OpenStreetMap is both free and Free, allowing open access to
   geodata. There are over 70,000 participants in OpenStreetMap worldwide,
   and community members are using the data to create a variety maps, such as
   opencyclemap.org and openrouteservice.org. We are working to increase
   participation here in the US. This presentation will focus on the past,
   present and future of geodata, OpenStreetMap goals, as well how people can
   get involved.

  Sarah Manley

   Sarah is the community ambassador for OpenStreetMap in the Bay Area of
   California. As community ambassador she works to engage a wider range of
   participants in OpenStreetMap by organizing mapping parties, speaking
   engagements and collaborations with community groups. She is also working
   to develop a curriculum that utilizes OpenStreetMap*s data and tools.

RSVP

  Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
  people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp@penlug.org if you
  are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

  For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

  Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
  to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
  phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
  (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

  See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
	members@penlug.org
	announce@penlug.org
	sf-lug@linuxmafia.com
	balug-talk@lists.balug.org
	svlug@lists.svlug.org
	svevents@yahoogroups.com
	vox@lists.lugod.org

  Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.