January 6: Social gathering
2009 Jan 27 11:38

Re: [vox] [Semi-OT] Coworking

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Gandalf  Parker <gandalf@any1can.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 06:08:48PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>>
>> So I just discovered the concept of 'co-working'.  It's kind of like
>> a co-op run office space for folks like me (people who telecommute and
>> don't have a home office, or need to get out of the house to focus).
>
> Very interesting. I would love such an arrangment.
> However being the "hopelessly paladin" person that I have and having been burned, I can see a trust issue with so many unknown people having access to mutually purchased equipment. It wouldnt have to be just trust in honesty but trust in carelessness or making bad decisions. Hard feelings if one persons action gets the place robbed.

Yeah, you'd have to screen potential coworkers with the same sort of
care that you give to potential housemates, or nearly so.  At least, I
would.  I've never heard the phrase "hopelessly paladin" before, and
it doesn't line up with any definition of "paladin" that I'm aware of.
 But then, my experience with paladins is primarily in World of
Warcraft.

> Doesnt places like the Library offer many of these services? Or maybe just someplace located near services would be better. Getting a building near one of those places with print, fax, copy, mailing services? Then just use old equipment in the shop with the fancy place next door for larger or more finished projects.

I think the big appeal of coworking is the social aspect;
telecommuting can be socially isolating and it's nice to have warm
bodies around (and by that I do not mean warm bodies who are bugging
you to feed them).