2009 Jan 21 16:19

[vox] Fwd: [BALUG-Talk] Webcaster wanted. Jan20 BALUG was-Re:Ubuntu[BALUG-Announce] BALUG: Tu 2009-01-20 Kyle Rankin on Where'd my files go?

[vox] Fwd: [BALUG-Talk] Webcaster wanted. Jan20 BALUG was-Re:Ubuntu[BALUG-Announce] BALUG: Tu 2009-01-20 Kyle Rankin on Where'd my files go?

My humorous cajole/invitation to get someone to record or stream the
BALUG talk.
Are you interested in doing the recording? Or just attending?

=====
It will be the hottest talk of all 2009, January.  The excitement!  The
Babes!  The Dudes!  The Ubuntu technologists!  And you'll be there.
Heading up the on-site technology team for the leading BALUG netcast in
the entire world!

That's right. You will use your superior technology skills & high tech
equipment (A cell phone?  A laptop??  A laptop with a _webcam_????????)
to send way hot photons & electrons dancing about the internet to audio
(& video?) stream, live, the hottest Ubuntu talk so far in 2009 to the
listeners eager to hear what you have heard, just milliseconds before!

Making use of the Powerful BerkeleyTIP-Global streaming VOIP
conferencing technology,
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal/web/irc-voip
you will add another feather to your resume (or something like that).

You might even be joined in the endeavor by BALUG SUPER-TECHNOLOGIST
Eric, netcaster extraordinaire from the November 2008 BALUG meeting.

I could not possibly hype this exciting technology volunteer position
further if I had dancing bears & dancing Fifes!

On a serious note, Stanford Chicks (& Dudes, for all I know) love
leading edge technology people, (see the Stanford Chick worshiping the
leading technologist in this photo):
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/11/engelbart_celebration/page2.html

Also, your presence at the meeting will help push the total on site
attendance toward the magical "40" number, which will hopefully ensure
BALUG gets enough attendees to have dinner in the exotic, private, "2nd
story" room.

Game?  If you can dial a cell phone, & have a cell phone that can
transmit for an hour, with free cell minutes, from about 8 - 9 PM,
you're qualified!!  Better yet if you've got a hotter rig, and can
transmit from a a web cam through a laptop, or something, somehow.  All
workable ideas & warm bodies welcome.  :)

Can you dig it, __Maaaaaann__?????!  (Or __Womaaaaaaann__.)

=====

Please RSVP here, to this   "BALUG-talk"    list,
if you would like to help in this
effort.  Or, send in your helpful suggestions about how to get this
netcast accomplished, which will help spread Ubuntu knowledge throughout
the known world, & hopefully increase the usage & development of the
Ubuntu system.

If someone can do this, I can send out announcements around this here
little ol' Earth, & can see if some young, impressionable Berkeley
students might like to listen/watch your efforts.  -  Back last
November, on a mere 10 minutes advance notice, we had about 6 listeners
to the audio netcast.

Thanks.  :)

Will you help out??

=====
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:47:48 -0800, some Berkeley guy
<Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu> said:
> BALUG: Tu 2009-01-20 Kyle Rankin on Where'd my files go?
>
> Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG)
> Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2009-01-20
> Kyle Rankin[1] on "Where'd my Files Go? - A guide to the Modern Ubuntu
> Distribution"

> **Why RSVP??**
>
> Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
> Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and they ensure that we're able to eat
> upstairs in the private banquet room.
>
> Meeting Details...
>
>     6:30pm
>     Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 2009-01-20
>
>     Four Seas Restaurant
>     731 Grant Ave.
>     San Francisco, CA 94108
>     Easy $5 PARKING:  Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny
>
> Cost: The meetings are always free, but dinner is $13
>

> http://www.balug.org/

Please RSVP if you're planning to come (see further below).

While you might not be able to tell at a cursory glance, a lot has
changed behind the scenes on a modern Ubuntu system from what you
might be used to if you have used Linux for years. For example,
did you know Ubuntu is phasing out System V init? That you can't
loopback-mount the initrd? In this talk Kyle will discuss the
current changes Ubuntu is making to what we might consider the
traditional Linux system. There's a little something for everyone
on the talk: For Linux newbies who are curious about what's under
the hood Kyle will cover the traditional and modern boot process
including how init works and follow up with a guide to where
important files are in Ubuntu. For the experienced Linux user Kyle
will show you how (and why) things have changed and where you can
look now when you want to, for instance, change the default
runlevel on an Ubuntu system.

Kyle Rankin is a systems architect for Quinstreet, Inc.[2], the
current president of the North Bay Linux Users Group[3], the
author of Knoppix Hacks,[4] Knoppix Pocket Reference[5],
Linux Multimedia Hacks[6], and Ubuntu Hacks[7] and has
contributed to a number of other O'Reilly[8] books. Kyle is also
a columnist for Linux Journal[9] and has had articles featured in
PC Magazine[10], TechTarget[11] and other publications.

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP:

   rsvp@balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and they ensure that we're able to
eat
upstairs in the private banquet room.

references/footnotes:
 1. http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1849