January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] Network Attached Storage device recommendation?

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:23:13AM -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:
> Well, it just seems that having a block device rather than a network
> attached storage could be a big bonus.

That right there sounds a bit too complicated.  I've seen some NAS devices
that do various protocols, including allowing iTunes-aware applications
to stream music and providing basic website hosting over HTTP.
Something like that, while perhaps less flexible down the road, seems to
be exactly the kind of consumer-level prodcut I'm seeking. ;)

PS - I'm awaiting the arrival of a Roku Netflix Player, yet another simple
to use device for the house.  Apparently runs Linux, too.
( http://www.linux.com/feature/142729 )