Re: [vox] Network Attached Storage device recommendation?

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> So I'm staring at some NAS devices on Amazon, and while some of the
> less expensive ones (under $250) sounds okay, some people seem to have
> serious problems of one sort or another.  (For example, a D-Link that
> replaces all non-Latin characters with "_" due to samba not being config'd
> very well on the device, which I'm assuming runs Linux.)
>
> I want something I can plug into my network, mount on my Linux laptop and
> my wife's, and copy files to/from.  (Mostly to make our music collection
> available to Amarok, but also for manual backups, photos, etc.)
>
> The top three I've looked at seem to be:
>
> * D-Link DNS-323 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure
>   ($150; needs SATA drive)
> * Iomega 33455 Ethernet/USB 2.0 500GB 1HD X 500GB Home Network Storage Drive
>   ($99, comes with drive)
> * Linksys Network Storage System with 2 Bays (NAS200)
>   ($80; needs SATA drive)

I recently purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo for our office, and
upgraded the HD to mirrored 1T drives and increased the ram from
256M to 1G.  The accessibility of the linux system and support for
rsync was a selling point for me.  However, it was more expensive
than the solutions you are looking at even before the upgrades.