Re: [vox] Network Attached Storage device recommendation?

I'm still using a de-underclocked Linksys NSLU2 and unslung firmware (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/).

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Kendrick" <nbs@sonic.net>
To: "LUGOD" <vox@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 12:06:52 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [vox] Network Attached Storage device recommendation?

So I'm staring at some NAS devices on Amazon, and while some of the
less expensive ones (under $250) sounds okay, some people seem to have
serious problems of one sort or another. (For example, a D-Link that
replaces all non-Latin characters with "_" due to samba not being config'd
very well on the device, which I'm assuming runs Linux.)

I want something I can plug into my network, mount on my Linux laptop and
my wife's, and copy files to/from. (Mostly to make our music collection
available to Amarok, but also for manual backups, photos, etc.)

The top three I've looked at seem to be:

* D-Link DNS-323 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure
($150; needs SATA drive)
* Iomega 33455 Ethernet/USB 2.0 500GB 1HD X 500GB Home Network Storage Drive
($99, comes with drive)
* Linksys Network Storage System with 2 Bays (NAS200)
($80; needs SATA drive)

In the case where they're just enclosures, I'll also need to get a drive...

I used to just use an old Celeron as a server, but no longer have a desk
under which to hide it, so I wanted something small, simple (like, foolproof,
works outta the box), and inexpensive. (I'm about to buy an ethernet-based
laser printer to replace my ancient parallel/USB Deskjet, as well.)

Thx in advance, and happy holidays!

Download it today! http://www.tuxpaint.org/