January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] [fwd] ssh "attacks" - distributed slow scans - notexactly "news", but?for the curious ...

Re: [vox] [fwd] ssh "attacks" - distributed slow scans - notexactly "news", but?for the curious ...

DW> I usually configure sshd to listen on a non-standard port, at least
DW> for any server that faces the outside world.  Doesn't do anything
DW> against a deliberate attack, but it does help in protecting against
DW> zero-day worms and such.

Another suggestion: install the "denyhosts" package which watches for
invalid logins and adds hosts to /etc/hosts.deny (which will block the
remote machine from access to anything on the system that makes use of
tcpwrappers, which is most everything these days)