2008 Nov 17 15:46

[vox] LUGOD 10 year anniversary plans

The Davis Public Library will be closed on January 19th for a holiday,
but we can have the room.  We'll just need to pay $30 for it, which should
be fine.  We should also buy a number of pizzas (I'm thinking at least 6
from Village Bakery).

We're going to receive some give-away books (and possibly other swag) from
O'Reilly, and might receive some swag from Google (if we haven't already...
I got a box that might be for LUGOD, or might be for me for participating in
GSOC, at my old address).

Along with the books, I'm planning on giving away my old Sharp Zaurus SL-5500
Linux-based PDA and its accessories, as part of a raffle.  Does anyone
else out here have anything they'd like to donate?  (Either as give-aways,
like old Linux Journal mags for example, or bigger-ticket items we can
raffle?)

Our guest speaker will be Allison Randal, cheif architect of Parrot
(a VM targetting dynamic languages, like Perl, Python and Ruby).
(See: http://www.lugod.org/meeting/upcoming/#2009.01.19 )

I started working on a flyer for this big event.  You can see a draft here.
I need to update the text to correspond with the description and bio that
Allison sent me this morning.
(See: http://www.lugod.org/documents/flyers/lugod10flyer.pdf to get an idea
of what it will look like, but please don't print and post _this_ one.)

I'd appreciate help putting this together.  10 years is a big milestone!
(Perhaps we should do a big one for our 0xF'th anniversary, too ;) )

Thanks,