2008 Oct 18 19:56

[vox] Fun thread on 'FOSS community attitudes' over on SF-LUG

[vox] Fun thread on 'FOSS community attitudes' over on SF-LUG

A discussion of "FOSS community attitudes."

  http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2008q4/005684.html

I'm enjoying reading Rick Moen's responses, particularly...
He put a number of things into real-world perspectives, e.g.:

  "...it's not a foregone conclusion that users of open source users
  broadly share _any_ [specific objectives], let alone all of them.
  Personally, I don't (particularly) seek unity of purpose with others who
  choose to use the same software I do, care only very distantly whether
  users generally have 'an alternative to proprietary software', ... "

and:

  "All that [results when a hardware vendor decides to release drivers]
  is some proprietary binary-only sludge with zero hardware documentation
  or sample code, which then briefly works (often i386-only) and then
  breaks unfixably after the first time the kernel's internal interfaces change.

  "And then the Nvidia executive says 'See?  This is what we get when we
  try to be nice to Linux users', and they refuse to deal with the matter
  again for at least another five years."

Sadly, I have not had time to RTFAs mentioned in the thread.
Not sure I need to at this point, though. ;)