2008 Sep 10 13:22

[vox] BayPIGgies meeting Thursday September 11,2008: Music and Lights

[vox] BayPIGgies meeting Thursday September 11,2008: Music and Lights

BayPIGgies meeting Thursday September 11, 2008:
Finger Painting with Planets
by Speaker

Finger Painting with Planets is an interactive installation using
FingerWorks iGesture multitouch pads in a custom-built controller.
The installation lets people place objects in space. Gravitational
attraction between the objects produces graceful movements that are
translated into visuals and sound. Knobs and buttons on the controller
are used to adjust parameters. A musical keyboard is used to select
notes that will be used in the music.

Theater Lighting System
by Drew Perttula

I'll talk about 3 major new improvements to my theater lighting
system since the last presentation in 2005: a midi input device
(with python driver); the use of RDF for most of the persistent
data; and a new tool for rendering previews of lighting scenes
with opengl.

The meeting starts with a Newbie Nugget, a short discussion of
an essential Python feature, specially for those new to Python.

Tonight's Newbie Nugget is...
Micro-benchmarking with timeit, presented by Matt Good.

Location: Google Campus
Building 40, the Seville room
(check in at the lobby in bldg 43)

bayPIGgies meeting information:
http://baypiggies.net/new/plone

* Please sign up in advance to have your google access badge ready:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BayPiggiesGoogleMeetings
(no later than close of business on Wednesday.)

Agenda

..... 7:30 PM ...........................
General hubbub, inventory end-of-meeting announcements,
any first-minute announcements.

..... 7:35 PM to 7:45 PM ................
Newbie Nugget Benchmarking with timeit
by Matt Good

..... 7:45 PM to 8:15 PM ................
Finger Painting with Planets
by Tim Thompson

Theater Lighting System
by Drew Perttula

..... 8:45 PM to 9:00 PM -- After The Talk ................
Mapping and Random Access

Mapping is a rapid-fire audience announcement of topics
the announcers are interested in.

Random Access follows immediately to allow follow up
individually on the announcements and other topics of
interest.