2008 Sep 02 04:49

Re: [vox] September Installfest Date?

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:36:17AM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Tony Cratz wrote:
> > Alex Mandel wrote:
> >> Unless anyone steps up and picks a workshop topic/agrees to lead we'll
> >> skip that.
> >

> > 	Due to a phone call I had tonight which turned into a support
> > 	call I have been kicking around the idea of topic which
> > 	could be good and it would be a good starter topic.
> >
> > 		The pro and con of disk partitioning
> >
> > 	As of right now I should be able to make the install fest and
> > 	if I do I'm willing to cover the topic, after all it is
> > 	something we should consider as we are doing installs.
> >

> > 							Tony
> >

> +1
>
> I still have a hard time deciding how to go about the proper
> partitioning of a system.

I have not found a clear method for partitioning.

I have used lvm and ext2online to hot add space to a partition. The
advantage I see to partitioning is that some service won't kill the rest
of your system when it fills up /var or some user won't kill the mail
server when he fills up /home . But then you could argue that two
competing resources for /var could compete against each other. Or, you
want to preserve /usr/local on reinstall. Or, why not just put it in one
partition?

brian

--
Brian Lavender