2008 Aug 19 22:51

Re: [vox] [LUGOD] [Installfest] Major change idea

Steve Weiss wrote:
> I recently came across Chris' email below from 5/12 and wondered what
> came of it. The addendum to his email suggests his idea for changing the
> Installfest to an "Educational Workshop and Installfest" was not picked
> up, perhaps for lack of interest or turnout. Well, I personally would
> like to see educational workshops happen in one form or another and
> think it might help boost turnout, especially if word gets out.

	In the voc-tech list on 6/22/08 I made a post suggesting the
	following:

<quote>
	One of the common issues which always come up is the
	desire to connect a Linux system to the home network
	and be able to share files with Microsoft systems.
	Therefore I suggest we use the topic of how to share
	and copy files. This can include Samba, SCP, NTFS-3G
	and FTP.
</quote>

> Here are some of the topics and specific issues I'm interested in:
>
> *   System maintenance in general
> *   Security
> *   Managing software installation and repositories - proprietary vs open
> *   Finding executables of newly installed software for setting up

	Your System Maintenance and Manging software are all part of the
	same.

> shortcuts when the system has not done so.

	This really should be a Desktop and usage topic.

> *   Installing all the media players that Ubuntu doesn't come with
> *   Font issues, including using the same ones Microsoft does so docs
> look the same
> *   Problems with Open Office and alternatives to it
> *   Evince sends only error messages to printer, though other programs
> print OK.
> *   Problems w/print page setup, margins in general and in Firefox
> *   Setting up VMWare or Virtualbox

> *   System backup management. (I use Simple Backup now for my system
> configuration but want to learn how to do other specific backup tasks,
> including testing its backup data and process.)

	System back-ups can take a full week to discuss. Depending on
	if I want a client/server back-up system I use Bacula. Other
	wise if you are only going to just get an image of the system
	tar works great.

> *   Setting up a wireless router and laptop using WPA
> *   Discussing/recommending additional software
>
> If this doesn't happen formally, I'll come to Installfests anyway as I
> can and pick up tips. Hey, maybe I'll even get to where I can help out.

	Alex and I have talked a bit about doing this but we have never
	really started to plan it. Neither one of us would be able to
	cover all of these topic so we needs others to step forward
	to assist.

	So I guess we should put out a call to see who would be willing
	to help. And what topic would you be willing to cover.

							Tony