2008 Aug 19 21:44

Re: [vox] [Lug-nuts] Reminder: Siafoo presentation at LUGOD onMonday (Aug. 18th)

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 06:43:07PM -0700, Kevin Schultz wrote:
>    Can someone who attends ask what SiafOO stands for? The OO part seems like
>    Object Oriented, or binoculars--maybe it's made up and doesn't mean
>    anything?

As Alex Mandel pointed out, it's named after 'siafu ants'.  I'm assuming
the OO in is in there so they get a nice "foo" in there.  It also prevents
namespace collisions.  (For example, at the end of their slides they
included the web address for some software called "Elixir", because it's
apparently impossible to find it via Google, for obvious reasons :^) )

-bill!