2008 May 27 17:31

Re: [vox] Laptop recommendation

I just bought the Dell 1420N with Ubuntu preinstalled. Dell and Canonical
are active with their support. It has linDVD. I wiped the 7.10 and
installed 8.04. I got the system with the Intel-VT T7500 processor
so I could run VMs ($200 extra) and 4 gigs of ram. The two other CPUs
don't have the vmx instruction set supporting hardware virtualization. I
have W2k running using virtual box, but the video is only giving me 16
colors. It runs pretty fast. I loaded it with almost everything. It's
pretty light too. Dell gives 30% off for Inspiron over $1299. Check
http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/ for the code.

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 08:41:41AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> My current job spoiled me by providing a laptop.
> I'll soon be starting a new job, and decided a laptop would be nice to have.
> I'll be doing web application development, so horsepower and graphics
> capabilities are less important than ease-of-installation and -maintenance
> with Linux (I favor Kubuntu flavor of Ubuntu, these days).
>
> Where to start? :)  One issue w/ my last laptop was wireless support. :^P
>
> Thx,
>
> --
> -bill!
> bill@newbreedsoftware.com