2008 Mar 23 13:59

Re: [vox] [LUGOD] Library

Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 03:40:40PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 06:39:55PM -0700, Jim Lowman wrote:
>>
>>> It might take someone two or three evenings to look each book up
>>> by ISBN on Amazon.com to see what they'd be worth.
>>>
>> A shame we don't have some kind of scripting tools and command-line
>> ways of doing web access. ;)
>>

> Supposedly Amazon has an API, but I don't know what it lets you do.
> Anyway, I'd prefer not to sell them on Amazon so that they stay in this
> area. I think arranging shipping would make things more complicated and
> it would be nice to make a social connection with whoever might be
> interested in the stuff.
>
> Besides giving the books to a library or away at a meeting, how about a
> swap meet at the Veterans Memorial Center parking lot? Lugod previously
> had a sort of swap meet but it was at someones garage in South Davis so
> it wasn't as accessible to people outside of the club. At the VMC, we
> might be able to have people from other groups too, like the Yolo
> Amateur Radio Society, the Davis Macintosh Users Group, and I don't know
> what else.
> Nick Schmalenberger
One more idea from a distance - since Nick mentioned donating the books
to a public library, has
anyone approached the Davis Public Library or UCD Library with this
idea?  Seems like one of
the libraries would be happy to get such a donation, and possibly could
list it as a special collection
from LUGOD.

I've donated a number of my excess books to the library of a local
community college.  A new
wing had been added a few years ago but, of course, there was no money
in the "pocket" for
acquiring books to populate it.

Jim in San Bernardino