2008 Mar 19 16:20

Re: [vox] Fwd: Internet Services In Davis

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Henry House wrote:

> I am using Sonic.net (both at home with dynamic IP and at my office with
> static IP) and am happy with them. Their tech support people are pretty
> cluefull and they know about Linux (though of course it is not
> officially supported).

In some ways it is more officially supported than by other ISPs. Sonic
does have a linux shell machine with user logins. They have linux colo's
that you can get from them. They have pretty good support for linux in
their sonic newsgroups. And they do have techs that speak linux altho its
not the guy at the end of the customer service line. But you can usually
connect up with them with abit of effort.

I also like the way that they actually HAVE Sonic newsgroups. They support
"Internet" more than many ISPs. I think they might actually support more
of the internet protocols than just about anyone I have looked into (such
as the list of what else can go in place of http in the http:// URL)

I am also amazed at their MOTD. One, that they actually have one. Two,
that they have it available in so many different ways. And Three, that
they put so much information there. Most ISPs wont tell you things that
went wrong if they think you wouldnt be able to tell it went wrong.
Incredibly open and honest for an ISP.

Gandalf  Parker