2008 Mar 18 09:04

[vox] [fwd] Call for Students - Season of Usability 2008

This program is similar to Google's Summer of Code, but it's for Usability.

----- Forwarded message from Ellen Reitmayr <ellen@openusability.org> -----

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 19:35:44 +0100
From: Ellen Reitmayr <ellen@openusability.org>
Subject: [sprint] Call for Students - Season of Usability 2008
To: sprint@flossusability.org

Season of Usability is a series of mentored student projects to
encourage students of usability, user-interface design, and interaction
design to get involved with Freee/Libre/Open-Source Software (FLOSS)
projects. It offers an excellent way to gain experience in the
interdisciplinary and collaborative development of user interface
solutions in international software projects.

We are proud to announce the Season of Usability 2008:
http://season.openusability.org/index.php/projects

We accept 10 students for design tasks, user research and UI analysis.
The openings represent a wide range of applications, such as instant
messaging, office suites, web applications and the One Laptop Per Child
desktop. During a three-month cooperation, you will closely work
together with experienced professionals and get insights in to their way
of work.

Depending on your location, you will be invited to a meeting with the
development and usability team. Otherwise the collaboration will take
place via the established channels of OSS development - email, IRC,
VoIP, and etc.

Send your application to students at openusability org until April, 14.
Project work will start in May and will take approximately 3 months. An
involvement of 15 hours per week is expected.

Students receive a stipend of $1000USD, kindly sponsored by Google Inc.,
the Open Society Institute and Trolltech.

Project Openings:

# Redesigning DrProject's Administration Interface
# Redesigning Gallery's Image Upload Tools
# Human Interface Guidelines and Design Patterns for KDE4
# Toolbox and Palette Interaction for KOffice
# 3d Widgets for MakeHuman
# Handheld-Mode Interface for the OLPC XO Laptops
# Analysing Pidgin's status quo and making design suggestions
# Instant Messaging and VoIP with SIP Communicator
# Supporting TV Viewers with TV-Browser

http://season.openusability.org/index.php/projects

- -------
Ellen Reitmayr