2008 Feb 15 23:27

Re: [vox] [Discuss] Meeting Format

The meetings start too early. I'm rarely out of work before 7. Pushing them back 30 minutes more would be great and I think it would make it more accessible to the under 35 crowd, which, you have to admit, is a large part of davis, and a part that we are missing in LUGOD.

Alex Mandel wrote:
I got some feedback from some 1st timers at recent Lugod meetings.
Here are some issues that were raised:
1. Try to start relatively promptly and keep the business/intro to 15 min. max - one way is to change the icebreaker question
Example: Name, Favorite FOSS application
Example2: Name, Favorite programming language
Example3: Name, Favorite IRC room or email list

2. Would like a more defined timeframe for the talk portion (aka 1 hour max), some people can't stay for 2-3 hours.
3. More in depth discussion all we want after that time, but it could happen with a chair or location rearrange to signal the talk is over now we're chatting.

I realize this doesn't fit all the meeting topics well, but I hope it will make it easier to bring more people in.

FYI, I forwarded our next announcement to the Geography Club at UCD and will mention it in my QGIS class later today.

Alex