Re: [vox] Times Square Ball (off-topic)

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:

(Nothing to do with *nix)

This year is the 100th anniversary of the Times Square Ball. This year's Times Square Ball uses over 9500 ultra-bright LEDs instead of the incandescents of past years. It's brighter, more efficient, and allows for finer control (you can even play video on the ball, though it'll be pretty low resolution).

It consists of 168 triangles, each with 12 red, 12 green, 12 blue, and 12 white Philips K2 LEDs, plus 9 white Nichia Rigels that light the interstices.
Very interesting.
In the white-hat hacker newsgroup Im in we started a discussion about creating a home-made full-wall monitor. We talked about the old CGA and EGA video formats, drilling holes in a big sheet of plywood, putting in R,G,B,w LEDs, covering with a sanded plexiglass cover.

Adequate to display the pretty-good graphics of the EGA days. Not photo quality but it would make a great display for the holidays. Show some Code Monkeys stuff. :) Or maybe a dance floor for my kids birthday party.

Im thinking that some of the old graphics were simple x,y locations and an r,g,b,w setting. Converting to a graphic like that would simplify programming an interface.

Gandalf Parker
-- Hacking is a tool and a method.
Its like "the Force". Not everyone is pulled to the Dark Side.