2007 Nov 28 19:01

[vox] Re: Ubuntu Desktop backup?

 > Today's Topics:
   1. Ubuntu Desktop backup? (Chris Horsting)
   2. Re: Ubuntu Desktop backup? (Scott Ritchie)
   3. Re: Ubuntu Desktop backup? (David Hummel)

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:46:34 -0800
From: Chris Horsting <sac85672@saclink.csus.edu>
Subject: [vox] Ubuntu Desktop backup?
To: vox@lists.lugod.org

Hello,

I have Ubuntu 7.10 and a DVD burner. So, I am planning to back my system
onto a DVD.  I looked at Ubuntu community documentation:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem?highlight=%28backup%
29, and there are a lot of options.

So, which option would be good to backup my system onto a DVD?

Thanks

Chris

------------------------------

Message: 2
I have Ubuntu 7.10 and a DVD burner. So, I am planning to back my system
onto a DVD.  I looked at Ubuntu community documentation:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem?highlight=%28backup%
29, and there are a lot of options.

So, which option would be good to backup my system onto a DVD?

Thanks

Chris
How big is your home folder?  If it'll fit onto a DVD, the easiest thing
to do is just copy it without any special software.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie

Along the lines of this method I recommend SBackup, it's in the Ubuntu repos and was a google summer of code project. It takes the guess work out of knowing which files are the right system files and makes a nice tar.gz for you.

If you're inclined it can also do automatic incremental backups.

Alex