2007 Nov 28 14:13

Re: [vox] Ubuntu Desktop backup?

On Nov 27, 2007 9:46 PM, Chris Horsting <sac85672@saclink.csus.edu> wrote:

> I have Ubuntu 7.10 and a DVD burner. So, I am planning to back my system
> onto a DVD.  I looked at Ubuntu community documentation:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem?highlight=%28backup%
> 29, and there are a lot of options.
>
> So, which option would be good to backup my system onto a DVD?

It depends on the type of backup you want to do.  If you want a backup
that you can use to completely restore your system to its current
state,  I would recommend booting into KNOPPIX, saving the disk
partition table with sfdisk, backing up the partitions with partimage,
and burning the images to DVD(s).  If you just want to backup your
home directory, I would do as Scott suggests and simply burn those
files to DVD(s).

-David