2007 Sep 30 20:18

[vox] [fwd] Update on SoundExchange negotiations

Jeff Shaw from KDRT, who spoke at our September meeting, forwarded this
to me shortly after the meeting; sorry it took so long to fwd to the list...

----- Forwarded message from Jeff Shaw -----

since it came up last night....

-------- Original Message --------

To:    Public Radio General Managers
From:  Bruce Theriault, Senior Vice President, Radio, CPB
       Dana Davis Rehm, Senior Vice President for Strategy and Partnership, NPR
Date:  9/12/07
Re:    Update on SoundExchange negotiations

You may have read recent news reports regarding SoundExchange and a
pending settlement with public radio over on-line music streaming rights
and fees, possibly before the end of September.

We want to let you know where things stand.  While we remain positive
about coming to a mutually agreeable arrangement, these news reports are
premature.  We will be meeting with SoundExchange again in early October
to continue our discussions.

As you may remember from an earlier update, CPB engaged the Integrated
Media Association (IMA) to conduct a survey of top streaming stations
and a representative sample of other stations that stream. The purpose
of the survey is to establish the total extent of streaming by public
radio. This streaming information is essential for both parties in the
continued discussions.

Those stations participating in the survey of streaming activity have
just completed the monitoring phase of the project and are in the
process of reporting their results to the IMA. The IMA is compiling and
analyzing the data and will be reporting the results to the group
negotiating on behalf of public radio shortly.

We will continue to provide further updates as events and information
warrant.

Bruce Theriault
Senior Vice President, Radio
Corporation for Public Broadcasting
401 9th St, NW
Washington, DC 20004
202.879.9801(v)
202.879.9700 (f)

Carol Pierson
President and CEO
National Federation of Community Broadcasters
1970 Broadway, Suite 1000
Oakland, CA 94612
510-451-8200
carol@nfcb.org