2007 Sep 28 18:00

Re: [vox] Article: "One school district answers Microsoft's pricingwith open source" (CNet Blog, 2007-09-24)

Brian Lavender wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:13:22AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>> One school district answers Microsoft's pricing with open source
>> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9783321-16.html
>> 2007-09-24
>>
>>   What if your local school district had to choose between Microsoft
>>   software licenses or education for your children? This isn't far off
>>   from the choice Windsor Unified School District in California recently
>>   faced, as LinuxWorld Magazine details.
>>
>>   Facing a $100,000 price tag from Microsoft (half the district's IT
>>   budget) and another $200,000 for security software from Trend Micro,
>>   the district's new IT administrator turned to open source
>
> Hmm, looks like OpenSource security software could also help in
> this situation. I am working with OSSIM http://www.ossim.net and it
> has some promising features.  It's rules engine is probably the most
> powerful aspect. I am still in the midst of figuring it out, but once
> things come together, it will be nice tool for protecting the network.
> Inside and out!
>
> brian

I once got an email from a school administrator thanking me for making
the Ubuntu Wine packages.  Using them he was able to save a couple of
thousand bucks of Windows licenses by migrating his computer lab to
Ubuntu + Wine.

In a way, it's like I donated a few thousand dollars to the school.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie