2007 Sep 26 12:36

Re: [vox] Article: "One school district answers Microsoft's pricingwith open source" (CNet Blog, 2007-09-24)

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:13:22AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> One school district answers Microsoft's pricing with open source
> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9783321-16.html
> 2007-09-24
>
>   What if your local school district had to choose between Microsoft
>   software licenses or education for your children? This isn't far off
>   from the choice Windsor Unified School District in California recently
>   faced, as LinuxWorld Magazine details.
>
>   Facing a $100,000 price tag from Microsoft (half the district's IT
>   budget) and another $200,000 for security software from Trend Micro,
>   the district's new IT administrator turned to open source

Hmm, looks like OpenSource security software could also help in
this situation. I am working with OSSIM http://www.ossim.net and it
has some promising features.  It's rules engine is probably the most
powerful aspect. I am still in the midst of figuring it out, but once
things come together, it will be nice tool for protecting the network.
Inside and out!

brian
--
Brian Lavender