2007 Sep 08 22:19

[vox] [fwd] Open Letter to California Media: You Suck [regarding AB1668 "open formats" bill]

Seen on SVLUG.

----- Forwarded message from Cyrus Mack <bytesfree@bytesfree.org> -----

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 21:56:30 -0700
From: Cyrus Mack <bytesfree@bytesfree.org>
Subject: [svlug] Open Letter to California Media: You Suck
To: svlug@lists.svlug.org

Being in a quixotian mood, I simply cannot bear another
badly-researched article on information rights or other geek political
subjects. While I'm no expert, perhaps I can at least add volume to
the arguments - sort of the equivalent of shouting at the deaf when
they can't read your lips. In any case, most treatments of
California's open formats bill in the mainstream media were beyond
atrocious, and I want to believe that it was a case of mere laziness,
as opposed to outright shenanigans.

Herewith is my rant about how the media treated the bill, AB 1668,
introduced in February and tabled in June. I am sending this to every
major newsdesk in the state, from where it will almost certainly be
dumped forthright into the old "file 13". Nevertheless, it cannot be
said that I did not try:

http://www.bytesfree.org/bfblog/index.php/2007/09/05/open-letter-to-california-media-you-suck-on-open-formats/

Please forward to whomever you see fit.

-Cyrus Mack