2007 Aug 01 16:55

[vox] [fwd] about new forms of dangerous junk mail

Seen on SF-LUG:

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> -----

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 08:56:27 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [sf-lug] about new forms of dangerous junk mail
To: sf-lug@linuxmafia.com

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> Also, another random point with PDF files and at least newer versions
> of Adobe's reader programs.  If I'm not mistaken, with some of the
> newer formats and Adobe's newer readers, they're capable of relativley
> stealthily tracking access - e.g. open the PDF, and it'll access a hidden
> URL within the PDF

Not that I use Adobe Acrobat Reader, but this is the reason why my DNS
nameserver proclaims itself authoritative for domain
"remoteapproach.com":

//"remoteapproach.com" collect spy-on-users data from Acrobat 7.x
// and later for the benefit of Adobe Systems, Inc.
zone "remoteapproach.com" {
        type master;
        allow-query { any; };
        file "/etc/bind/advertisers.zone";
};

(The "advertersers.zone" zonefile is what I use to make undesired DNS
domains go away, by resolving them locally.)

----- End forwarded message -----

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/