2007 Jun 23 15:29

Re: [vox] Extremely low meeting attendance!

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 02:24:54AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Wow -- on the heels of spending two hours of my time for LUGOD, when I
> should be sleeping before a workday, Nick just emailed me regarding the
> last LUGOD meeting (the Ingres talk)...
>
> ...it seems only _six_ (6) people attended!  That's extremely depressing,
> considering our speaker drove for at _least_ an hour and 45 minutes each way!
> (Also, at least two other LUGOD members did a bunch of work to find an
> alternative venue for that meeting.)
>
> What gives!?  I really feel like I'm wasting my time finding speakers,
> and feel VERY bad that we're wasting somewhere along the lines of 5-6 hours
> of our speakers' lives!  That's _shameful!_ :^(  (Can you tell I'm
> flabberghasted? :^) )
>

> I recall a day when our meetings pulled in 30-40 people, twice a month,
> regardless of the speaker or topic.  Where are these people now?  Graduated?

Is it better to have quantity or quality?

I am back in school at Sac State and ACM is pretty strong. I am getting
pretty excited about some of the opportunities with GNU/Linux. Has
anyone taken a look at rbuilder and some of the projects they are doing?

http://www.rpath.com/rbuilder/

Is this cool or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

brian
--