2007 Jun 22 14:00

Re: [vox] TRS 80, anyone?

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Brian Lavender wrote:
One day someone will figure out that old TRS80's and Commodores have all
the best parts for a small robot. Including some parts that new computers
dont have such as a programmable sound chip.
Interesting. Have you done any work with these sound chips? I would be
curious to hear more on how to do this.
I did way back when but the thing I remember is that the sound chips in those boxes did more than just "beep". They had white-noise generation and full range. You could get some very sophisticated game sounds out of the little piezo (sp?) chips. And being old Z80 programmable isnt bad for a controller board also. The power requirements on the entire machine was very low. Shit, just add wheels and motion sensors. :)

There was also an idea using the old CGA/EGA graphics cards. They actually work by using pixels of red, green, blue, and white to get the 16 color combinations. It was quite suitable for cartoons. Take a big sheet of plywood, drill holes, put christmas bulbs in it. In each hole have one of R/G/B/W. Cover it with a sheet of sanded plexiglass and have a dancing billboard the size of a house :)

Gandalf Parker