2007 Jun 12 07:24

[vox] [fwd] Hardware virtualization

Brian posted this to SacLUG.  Figured maybe some folks from last night's
LUGOD would be interested...

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> -----

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 12:58:59 -0700
From: Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com>
Subject: [Lug-nuts] Hardware virtualization
To: Lug Nuts <lug-nuts@saclug.org>

I was at the LuGoD social event last night and Gary and I were talking
about virtualization and I mentioned that it was actually now in
hardware. I don't know if you can buy these at Fry's yet, but many
server vendors are shipping with these available. Here's a Wikipedia
page on virtualization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization

So, the cool thing about hardware support is that it just means there is
another layer below protected mode that only the hypervisor has access
to. So, now, Xen or whatever your hypervisor is, just has to manage
which installed OS gets access to the hardware and guests can run
unmodified. I haven't run any VM's on the hardware based virtualation
processors, so I don't know what the speed is like. Anyone out there run
these?

brian
--
Brian Lavender