2007 May 15 13:54

Re: [vox] xtra monitors?

Really, it's quite silly. I don't go to ViewSonic or NEC for speakers - I go there for a display - if they want to get into the audio market, then so be it, and I will judge their audio products on their own merits. I, nor anyone that I have ever met, has interest in the audio junk that is attached on the sides of the display. No offices I have worked in want their employees to hook up speakers to their computer - so the office argument can't be made. Most people I have dealt with consider speakers and display to be separate, unrelated purchases.

Now, if some audio company were to make a set of speakers that could be attached to my display, then I may be interested in what they have to offer.

Then again, I usually make the disclaimer that I am not the average consumer nor do I seem to have even the remotest semblance to the mindset of one. Additionally, I fail to appreciate what they (the consumer) values. Probably why I'm in the programming team and not the marketing. :-)

~chris

Harold Lee wrote:
Seems like a cheap attempt to "add value" and thereby increase price and profit margin. But ThinkPad and MacBook built-in speakers sound better than the ones in the ViewSonic monitor I have, so I just use the laptop speakers. It's a shame because usable built-in speakers would be nice.

Orson Jones wrote:
What's with built in speakers anyway? A quick peek at newegg revealed a lot of lcds with builtin speakers.

Then again, you wouldn't have speakers taking up space on your desk, and if you're just watching youtube videos, you don't need great quality anyway!

I paid $189 in November or December for a 19" widescreen ViewSonic 1440x900 with DVI and DSUB inputs and (really tinny) built-in speakers. Model is VX1935wm if you want more details. www.costco.com says it is now $184.99.

I was surprised to find a better deal at Costco than Newegg, but hey - why argue?