2007 Apr 20 08:51

Re: Ubuntu 7.04 Released! [[vox] CD burns needed for WEF and GTCevents]

On 4/19/07, Micah Cowan <micah@cowan.name> wrote:
Richard Mancusi wrote:
> Does anyone know if Herd-5 plus all updates exactly equals final.
> I understand that the package count will be different unless you clear out
> "Installed (Local or Obsolete)".  In my case that is 29 packages, mostly
> old
> Linux Headers, etc.  If there is any question, I would rather format the
> drive
> and start from scratch.  No sense in introducing potential problems later.

If you upgraded to a pre-release Feisty, regardless of when, and have
kept it up-to-date until today, it should be the same as having upgraded
today.

My personal experience is that upgrading from Edgy to Feisty was /much/
more seamless than upgrading from Dapper to Edgy; however, I performed
the Dapper-to-Edgy upgrade much earlier in the development cycle, and
used apt-get dist-upgrade rather than the update manager (which for
desktop edition is strongly recommended over apt), so the comparison may
be irrelevant.

Feisty seems to have been running pretty stable for the Beta users
(including me). If you love stability, I wouldn't recommend activating
the "desktop effects" (compiz), and I'm aware of some printing hangs
(ghostscript loops) with workarounds (use alternate ghostscript!), but
otherwise, it seems quite good.

I hadn't been planning on installing it at work (need a stable
environment), but after running it at home without incident, I'm going
ahead today! :)

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/

Thank you - looks like I am o.k. because I did a clean install.  No update
from a previous version - format, install herd-5, all updates since.

I appreciate the help
-rich