2007 Apr 11 10:26

Re: [vox] [fwd] California AB 1668 [mandate open document formats forthe California state government]

On Wednesday 11 April 2007 07:57, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Seen on SVLUG...
> ----- Forwarded message from Cyrus Mack -----
> For those of you unaware, California AB 1668 would mandate open
> document formats for the California state government. See the text
> here -
>
> http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_1651-1700/ab_1668_bill_20070223_introduced.html

This mandates usage of XML.  So storage in plain text format would be
outlawed.  Way to go.  Documents such as the text of this bill would
end up being stored in <pre> ... </pre> just to satisfy the law --
which it actually is, except they forgot the ending tag!

And by the way XML has nothing to do with assuring open formats.

I very much support the underlying concept, but these legislators are
idiots.

Rod