2007 Mar 29 17:16

Re: [vox] Extremely low meeting attendance!

Re: [vox] Extremely low meeting attendance!

Hello all,

I've found as things become successful( known quantities) people no longer
need to gather together.  There aren't too many computer clubs anymore.
People are getting plenty of Linux at work and searching for answers
using Google.  They usually don't want to go to user meetings to talk about
work related topics.  I saw this happen in Austin when the Internet took off
and people didn't need the Unix club anymore for Internet access.  Right
when the dotCom explosion happened people stopped coming to our club
meetings and membership plummeted.  We featured mostly Sun talks.
So as the number of Solaris users( SysAdmins) expanded, membership and
attendance dropped off from over 200 to less than 15.  There are still some Mac
clubs still around on some campuses I believe.  There is still a PC user club in
San Jose, also,I believe.  These clubs rarely evaporate completely.

Mike