2007 Mar 04 13:55

Re: [vox] linux recommendation

Ruben Safir wrote:
Using sudo has been perfectly suitable for me.

In fact, since I'm always _me_ (my normal user), I don't ever have to
worry about "~" pointing at the place I expect it.  Once I've entered my
password once in a session, I don't have to type it again, so if I need
to go back and adjust or reissue a command, it happens right away.

e.g.:

 $ sudo aptitude update
 Password: ...
 $ sudo aptitude upgrade
 ...  <-- no password prompt this time

What happens when you need to bring the machine up in single user mode because a hard drive is causing problems?

I'm failing to see how not having a root user is an advantage.
For a home computer, I see some advantages:

a) hardware failures are most generally addressed by booting a CD, not
using one hard disk/partition to fix another.

b) having a root password means someone must be root and take responsibility for keeping the root password safe... most people are not good at keeping track of one password, let alone multiple passwords.

c) sudo provides a maintenance trail to see what maintenance was done, when, and by whom.

Personally, I find (a) and (c) convincing.