2007 Feb 27 15:41

[vox] Re: Hello (Gandalf Parker)

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 12:00:07PM -0800, vox-request@lists.lugod.org wrote:
> Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:50:45 -0800 (PST)
> From: Gandalf Parker <gandalf@any1can.net>
> Subject: [vox] Hello
> To: vox@lists.lugod.org
>

> Not sure if intros are appropriate but I told some people Id let them know
> when I got in. I will try to be brief...
> Gandalf Parker (yes I will show my ID if I get to a meeting).
> Vacaville, CA
> retired USAF
>
> Been using Linux since its birth, using Unix before that, was on the
> internet before it was called internet.
>
> Was part of the birth and death of community.net (dont hit me)
>
> Presently running 2 servers. Debian stable and unstable. Web, email, most
> services, and an ancient MUD.
>
> Also my present love/hate is a game called Dominions 3. Its a non-free
> linux, windows, mac game. Unimpressive graphics/sound but VERY deep
> strategy. Mythological/Fantasy armies. And it has pages of command-line
> switches which screams for being linux hosted with email and web
> interfacing.
>
> Banging my head on ImageMagick and YaBasic, mostly for interfacing web/cgi
> with the above game. Other places Im involved at that you might know:
> Meetup.com, CafePress.com, ShrapnelGames.com, Sonic.net (I wont list my
> own many domains here)
>
> Im not sure if I can get to the meetings. Im the daycare providor for my
> handicapped son. Im afraid that he sets my schedule and I often cannot
> RSVP since I cant be sure if I can come until the last minute.
>
> I will accept emails at the address mentioned on this post (and a couple
> dozen other domains I have  :) if anyone wants more info on any of it
> without cluttering this list. (rats, not so short was it?)
>
> Gandalf  Parker
That is awesome, I hope you can come to a meeting. Our next formal meeting will
have a presentation from Ingres which you may have used a long time ago.
I first heard of it reading The Cuckoo's Egg when I was ten or eleven
years old and was the first I ever heard of unix also. Did a lot of
admins in the Air Force talk about that book? I'm sure you have a lot of
stories and we would like to hear them.
Nick Schmalenberger