2007 Jan 19 12:18

Re: [vox] Iceweasel

Gabriel G. Rosa wrote:
On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 09:55:36AM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:
I was looking forward to Firefox 2.0, and today Apt said it was going to download it. But voila, out came Iceweasel.
The issue, as I understand it, is what while the firefox codebase is open
and free, the firefox name and logo are both (TM) of the mozilla corp.
That is true, but not the full picture. According to one of the dev/packagers on the distro I use (Arch) the mozilla people are actually going beyond just that.

They're very concerned, apparently, about the trademark/name. And so, like Sun with Java, they're being very anal about what software is allowed to be shipped with the Firefox name on it. As a result, IIUC, they're insisting on approving what goes into a package with the name firefox.

This is turning into a huge PIA for distro's and packagers:

1) a packager can't just decide to include certain patches that they want without approval, and

2) every time you need to rebuild a package for whatever reason you need to get the new package approved

As a result, on Arch we have a situation similar to Iceweasel - the Firefox browser uses the name "Bon Echo", which apparently is the generic non-branded name for Firefox.

DR